Monday, September 21, 2009

Forgiveness

Forgiveness


I have been thinking a lot about the Book of Job. It’s in the Old Testament in the Bible Most people focus on the beginning where Satan comes before God and asks to torment Job. Another aspect is when God talks to Job at the end of the book or how Job’s friends tormented him in his time of misery. I believe God gave me another aspect of Job. Right before God made everything right in Job’s world, the Lord God asked him to forgive and pray blessing on his three tormentors. God didn't give Job any promises of healing or restoration after he obeyed. God didn’t restore Job until he had forgiven and blessed his three friends. I don’t know about you but I’d have a hard time doing what God asked of Job.

We don’t know how long a period of time that Job was in pain. So we don’t know how long Job’s “friends” were telling him to repent of whatever sin that caused this calamitous affair. God called Job to forgive and to bless all three. I’m sure Job didn’t make a decision right away concerning forgiving and blessing his friends. Having been in Job’s place, the human side comes to the forefront and screams, “NO, NO, NO, NO!” God haven’t you seen what they put me through, “sick em God”.

The human side would want vengeance and justice. Most of us would ask God to take care of the wrongs done to us first. I doesn’t seem to work that way. I have been struggling with forgiveness towards three different people. I was the wronged party in all three cases.

I waited for four months for things to change. I prayed for God’s mercy, conviction and restoration. I received no answer. I was getting madder by the day. It seemed as if I was being ignored and I felt abandoned because the people wouldn’t reach out to me. God wanted something from me but I didn’t know what until I read and thought about Job.

Job never questioned God and he obeyed without expecting anything in return. I was and still am in the dark place of the soul. My prayer for hope turned into a prayer of selfishness. I wanted the people to know that they wronged me and they should be sorry for it. God wanted me to forgive and bless the people who wronged me. I fought with it for a week.

Then I realized I can’t out wait God. He waits very patiently until you do what he wants you to do. I went back to church after being gone for four months. I prayed God’s blessing on them and I forgave them. The others were taken care of before I dealt with my home church. I didn’t feel anything different. A few days later other things that were out of place started falling into place.

Forgiving someone is letting all of the resentment and bitterness go. Your unforgiveness doesn’t affect the other people at all. Most of the time the people involved are ignorant of what's taking place. When you release the bitterness and anger and grant forgiveness, you're putting the whole situation into God’s loving hands. Justice and vindication is the Lord’s job.

I’ve forgiven, but the situations haven’t really changed. I don’t expect anyone to try to make right what went wrong. All I know is that if I don’t forgive I’m the one who stays in jail. I’m asking for justice and vindication. All in all The Lord will do what’s best for all concerned

What I’m about to say is my belief and conviction. I truly believe that forgiveness is one of the most powerful words that we have in the English language.

If a person has hurt you, then I encourage you to ask God to give you the grace, mercy and strength to forgive. It’s not easy and it will take every ounce of will power that you have to do it. If you do forgive the other person, you will be the one let out of bondage. If the other person doesn’t respond, then it’s out of your hands and placed into God’s hands.

I was thinking one day and the Lord gave me this little ditty:

F Forgetting the situation sets your spirit and soul free

O Overcoming and handing over the hurt, anger and revenge that dwells in your
heart, over to God, will set you free

R Restoration can come when the first person forgives and let’s go

G God gives grace to walk away, even though you are the hurt party

I Initiation gives you the tools to talk to the other person

V Vulnerability is going to the other person when you don’t know how they will
respond

E Extending grace with no strings attached heals personal wounds

I normally don’t pray on my blog, but I am this time. Lord Jesus touch every wounded spirit and heart that is out there. Help people to come to you. Let them be restored by your grace and favor. Help each person to forgive the people that have hurt them and let them place themselves in the palm of your hand. For you are a God of justice and mercy. Thank you and God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment