Monday, June 22, 2009

Women's Roles Within the Church Structure

There has been a great debate within the church on whether women can function as leaders and to what level can they aspire to. I have asked myself repeatedly, as a woman, what do I believe and that began my long and many times hard journey into finding out what I do believe.

The top position within the church is the Pastor and the word “Pastor” has changed meanings over the years. Back in the70's and 80's the word “Pastor” meant the person who is the top authority within the church structure. An “Elder” is to function along side with the Pastor in making decisions for the church family they are in charge of.

There are two different meanings for the word “pastor” today. The first still means the person who is the top authority within the church structure. The “Pastor” and/or “Elders” are to be responsible for making governmental decisions for the church body. They create the bylaws, settle doctrinal issues, set the direction of the church and implement the way it should be done.

The second meaning for “pastor”is to guide, care for and help to grow someone in their faith in Jesus Christ. This type of “pastor” may or may not be in a church leadership position. The double meaning of “pastor” is where I believe the great debate begins. Can women function within church leadership and to what capacity?

There are two different points of view. The first is called “Egalitarian.” Egalitarian believes that women can function in all positions, including the top Pastoral and Eldership positions. The second is called “Complemetarian.” Complemetarian believes that women can also function in all positions except the “Pastoral” or “Eldership” positions.

As a woman, I had to ask myself two questions: 1) How is this issue viewed in the Bible; and
2) is the societal issue of feminism affecting my decision making.

Part II Tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. I think you are correct at separating the office of a pastor and the ministry of pastoring. I also have come to the position, after much study, that they are separate. Whatever one may think about the office, I don't see any good case for excluding women from the ministry of pastoring. In fact, I think it is vital that women do so!

    Also, a good case can be made from the Greek that pastor, elder, bishop and presbyter (depending on your translation) all refer to the same office and are interchangable terms. That office is also referenced as a "pastor and teacher" in Eph. 4. Thus, separating "pastor" from elder is a corruption of Scripture. Furthermore, elevating "pastor" (which is only referenced once in all of the New Testament as a church office) over or distinct from "elder" (which is referenced scores of times) is not justified under any interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I agree. I think a big part of the problem is that people change terminologies and their meanings over the years. It is corruption and should be kept the way the Lord intended from the start. Keep reading. I get into that later on.

    ReplyDelete