Thursday, March 19, 2009

"My Dog Pup"

I came across a poem my son, Jason had written over ten years ago. He wrote it about our now 12 year old dog, Smokey. Smokey, would hide in bushes about a foot tall and stalk squirrels. His concentration was intense and he would bounce from one leg to the other while he waited. As soon as one was where he wanted it to be, he would take off running. Smokey was fast and never intended to hurt his furry little friends. He just liked the chase and that is what this poem is about, a boy proud of his dog's squirrel chasing skills. Jason was only around ten to twelve years old when he wrote his poem, so he's much older in this picture.

"My Dog Pup"

My dog Smokey is a normal pup,
He runs and plays until he stares up

He sits in his bush, stares and searches,
looking for that certain thing that lurches

He will sit for hours until he sees
That gray adversary playing in the the trees

He starts to shake until he springs
Chasing his adversary wishing he had wings

As his opponent jumps up a tree
he circles around it with great jubilee

His adversary won't come down and play
Smokey walks away knowing there is another day

I'd like to think that everyone has childhood memories that are fun. Hopefully this will let you laugh and remember some fond memories of when you were a child. My mother's heart is bursting with pride as I write this, remembering the little boy who loved his dog and the man he now is that still loves his dog.

1 comment: