Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Time In A Bottle - 2



Part 2, from yesterday’s post

I started thinking and asking myself, what keeps me from spending time with Jesus and when I do, why does it seem forced. Better yet, why can’t I seem to keep it up for long periods of time. A day will slip into days. Then days will slip into weeks. The cycle continues and the guilt within me grows until I don’t want to face the issue any more.

I know I’m not the only one who has fought with this time old issue. In a rare few moments alone I asked myself, “how do I conquer the problem of not having enough time, when I hardly have enough time to think what I’m thinking?”

First of all, I had to be honest with myself. I had to take a long and hard look at what my priorities were. Everything during my day was valid, and I didn’t see any way of dropping anything to be with Jesus. I knew something had to change. But, what?

I began to focus on my priorities, and I began to realize that Jesus wasn’t on the top of the list. Matter of fact he wasn’t even on the radar screen of my day. Ok, the million dollar question is: how do I make Jesus a priority of my day?

Again I had to ask myself, “What is the most important thing to me? What will make me willing to sacrifice to have time to either be with or do it?” That was easy for me to answer, it’s my husband and children. I would cancel anything for quality family time. Each one of us has our priorities.

Another self evaluation had to take place. Okay, do I believe in Jesus? That’s easy, yes I do. Do I believe that the Bible is my guidebook?. Again, that’s easy, yes. Next question, do I love Jesus? Oh boy, do I! I think I’m doing pretty good so far. I’ve answered all of the questions in the right way.

Jesus has now decided to throw in a few questions of his own at this point and he asks, “do you love me more than your family?” I automatically answer, well sure I do. Next question, “if you love me more than your family, are you willing to spend quality time with me and are you willing to sacrifice to do it?” I start arguing a little bit at this point, “ Lord you just don’t understand, time is at a premium”.....Jesus once again asks me, “do you love me?” I try a new tactic, “Lord, I know you want me to be faithful to my commitments”.....again the Lord asks me, “are you willing to sacrifice to spend time with me?” I realized I wasn’t getting out of this so easily.

Part 3, tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment